General Information

What is iLEAD?

I- International L-Leadership E-Entrepreneurial Development A-Arts D-Design

iLEAD Charter Schools inspire LIFELONG LEARNERS with the skills to lead in the 21st CENTURY. We EMPOWER students to become conscientious, PRINCIPLED LEADERS and citizens of the world. Our programs cultivate CREATIVE THINKING, by offering INDIVIDUALIZED instruction, ACTIVE learning methods and opportunities for SELF-DIRECTED educational experiences.

What is iLEAD Exploration?

iLEAD Exploration is an independent study program serving learners in grades TK-12 who reside in San Bernardino, Los Angeles, Orange, Ventura and Kern counties.

How does your program work?

We are a parent driven, home based, independent study program. Because we are a public charter school, we do not charge tuition or fees. Learners do not use a set curriculum but with the assigned credentialed Educational Facilitator (EF), an Individualized Learning Plan (ILP) is developed based on many variables, some of which may include the learner’s learning style, goals, passion. Families meet with their assigned EF every 20 school days to discuss assigned work and collect samples in various subjects. In addition, Instructional Funds are allotted to each learner to use towards approved non-sectarian educational materials, curriculum, and services.

What are all these terms and acronyms you use?

Educational Facilitator – (EF) – An educational facilitator is a credentialed teacher who partners with parents and learners to develop and guide the learner’s educational journey.

Educational Materials & Resource – (EMR) – These are vendors that sell materials such as books, curriculum, science kits, etc.

Educational Units – These are the funds that have been allocated by the state to support the learner’s education. Together with the EF, the parent and learner will determine the best use of those funds as they request the purchase of materials / services from our approved vendors.  Any items purchased with these funds are the property of iLEAD.

Lead Facilitator – (Lead EF) – Lead EFs are highly qualified, credentialed teachers who support the EFs by training, inspiring and encouraging them.  The Lead EF also provdes oversight to the EFs, and serves as additional support for parents if their EF on the very rare occasion that the EF is unavailable.

Individualized Learning Plan – (ILP) – A joint endeavor by the parent and EF, that takes into account the learner’s interests, learning style, and state/federal mandates to determine what will be taught and how it will best be achieved utilizing educational resources that are available within the school, the community, and the family.

Instructional Funds – (IF) – These are the funds that have been allocated by the state to support the learner’s education. Together with the EF, the parent and learner will determine the best use of those funds as they request the purchase of materials / services from our approved vendors.  Any items purchased with these funds are the property of iLEAD.

Learning Period – (LP) – This is the the date range of  instructional days between Learning Period Meetings.  There are usually nine or ten Learning Periods a year.

Master Agreement – (MA) – This is the year long agreement between the parent, the learner and iLEAD.  It documents the course of study, curriculum, and the time, manner and frequency of the monthly meetings. This document must be resubmitted at the beginning of each year and is needed before any orders can be placed.

Online Purchasing System – (OPS) – This is the system our school uses to place requests for orders and it is what the Vendor Team uses to put in orders and manage the instructional funds, orders, invoices, purchase orders and inventory.

Student Information System – (SIS) – This is the system that schools use to enter learner-related data such as attendance, grades, courses, enrollment information etc.

Vendor Course Instruction – (VCI) – These are vendors who provide educational services such as classes or lessons.

Western Association of Schools and Colleges – (WASC) – A committee of educators from within the state who evaluate and approve schools for accreditation based on the organization’s criterion. One of their purposes is to ensure educational best practices.

Educational Facilitator

When can I meet with an Educational Facilitator (EF)?

The first meeting with an EF will be once your student(s) has been assigned to an EF and he or she contacts you to setup an initial meeting.

Where will my child(ren) and I meet the Educational Facilitator?

You will meet in a location that is agreeable to you both.  Most will meet at locations such as a local library, coffee shops, cafes, parks, or another public facility.

Will I be assigned an EF who lives near me and fits with my child’s style of learning and who matches my educational philosophy?

Because the EF assignment is based on the date we receive your application and your geographic zip code area, your EF may or may not live in your immediate area.  EFs are required to be well versed in different styles of learning and will work closely with you to best understand your child’s learning needs.  We do try to match our families with EFs who understand the family’s learning style as much as we can.  We do want to provide an ideal situation for our families and our EFs but we do have some geographic constraints that we must consider as well.

How long/often are the meetings with my EF?

The required Learning Period Meetings take place once every 15-20 school days. A missed meeting will be recorded and two missed meetings will result in an evaluation meeting with the student, parent, EF, Lead EF and Director(s) to determine a different learning placement for the student.

When we meet with our EF, what do I have to bring to the learning period (LP) meetings?

Students are encouraged to bring several assignments to “show off” their amazing learning experiences to their EF.

In addition, the parent will also keep track of concepts and activities that were done over each learning period on an Activity/Attendance Log. A printed copy of that completed log must also be brought to the meeting.

   Grades TK-8

*  First Learning Period Meeting – EF will collect a sample from all 4 core subject areas (Language Arts, Math, Science and Social Studies).  This is to give the EF a baseline of the student’s academic capabilities.

*  For all other Learning Period Meetings – EF will collect two samples, according to a schedule to be provided by the EF in August.

   High School

*  First Learning Period Meeting – EF will collect one sample per course listed on the Master Agreement. This is done in order to give the EF a baseline of the student’s academic capabilities.

*  For all other Learning Period Meetings –  the EF will select one English + four other samples from what is presented by the student. 



Instructional Funds

Do we receive Instructional Funds and use them with the vendors directly?

These funds are allocated for student use – but they are still ‘school funds’.  Parents are allowed a say in what the funds can be used for (within certain guidelines).  With the help of your EF, you will be able to make requests about how you want to allocate those funds for your student(s).  After your EF reviews your order, he/she will submit that to the Vendor Team for ordering.  All materials ordered are the property of the school and if a student withdraws at any time, materials will need to be returned to the EF immediately.

How much Instructional Funds are allotted per student?

Depending on the grade level of your student and the program, there will be $2600 (TK-8) and $2800 (9-12) allotted to request the purchase of approved educational materials and services. For our Lancaster and SCVi school-affiliated home study, contact your EF as amounts vary per school dependent upon unique offerings and opportunities provided for students at each location.

Does that amount change if I enroll late?

Yes.  Instructional fund allotments depreciate daily depending on the day of actual enrollment.  Learners who are officially enrolled on or before Sept 1 will get the full allotment of funds.  Enroll early to get the maximum amount of funds.

Will we be able to use the Instructional Funds for enrichment classes?

Yes.  However, students must confirm, with their Educational Facilitator,  that they have enough materials and/or services in the core subject areas before enrichment classes will be approved.  Students must be current with their learning period meetings, attendance logs and samples to be approved as well.  (Even more so for high school learners.)

Can we use all the funds at one time?

No.  The funds are spread out through the year.

  • early August (just a bit to get some items to start the year):  $300 K-8,  $450 High School
  • first day of school (actual order day!):  $700 K-8,  $850 High School
  • December:  $1000 K-8,  $1300 High School

For our Lancaster and SCVi school-affiliated home study, contact your EF as amounts vary per school dependent upon unique offerings and opportunities provided for students at each location.

Where can we order books and materials?

There are several vendors on our vendor list that you can select from.  The most popular is Rainbow Resource because they carry so many items.  Please remember to add approximately 20-25% to your materials order to cover any shipping, taxes and/or handling fees required by the company.

Is there a deadline to order materials?

Yes.  Check with your EF for specific dates as they vary from year to year.

When do I have to return these materials?

When a student is withdraws from the school, all the materials purchased with the state funds must be returned to the school within 3 days, otherwise you will be billed and transcripts will be held.

Also, when materials are no longer being used by the student, the materials must be returned to the school via the EF.

During summer breaks, if you are continuing with the school in the Fall, and your learner or his/her sibling can still use the materials, you may continue to use it.

What happens if we break or lose one of the items?

If any item purchased by the school for instructional use is lost or broken by a student, the student must pay to replace the item.


Can you guarantee enrollment?

Enrollment is based on a first come, first serve basis, depending on the date a completed application is received.  When we reach capacity, a waiting list will be created and a lottery will be conducted as openings occur.  A student is officially enrolled when the parent AND student have signed a Master Agreement with their EF.

What do I need for proof of residency?

Any of the following is acceptable:

(1) Property tax payment receipts.
(2) Rental property contract, lease, or payment receipts.
(3) Utility service contract, statement, or payment receipts. (If phone bill, must be a landline.)
(4) Pay stubs.
(5) Voter registration.
(6) Correspondence from a government agency.
(7) Declaration of residency executed by the parent or legal guardian of a pupil.

I live with a relative or friend so none of the bills are in my name. How do I show Proof of Residency?

Obtain a utility bill from the address you currently reside, along with a letter from the person you are living with stating that you and your child(ren) are living with them, and explain that you have no mail and/or bills in your name.

When does enrollment take place during the year?

We typically begin enrollment in March.

My student has an IEP, do you service Special Education students?

Yes.  However, students with IEPs cannot participate in independent study unless it is deemed an appropriate instructional placement in their IEP.  The CDE provides explicit rules regarding the admission of students with IEPs into independent study:

A. Special education students may not participate in independent study unless it is specified as an instructional method in their individualized education program (IEP). EC Section 51745(c)     ….. see more information under Special Education

What is an Individualized Education Plan?

An Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or Program is a mandated part of the education of people who have been deemed to have special education needs. This plan would have been created by your child’s current or previous school.  They should have sent you a copy.  If you do not have one, please contact the school and ask them to send a copy to you.

Must I include an original copy of my child’s birth certificate?

No, a copy of the original will be sufficient.

Where can I get a copy of my child’s immunization records?

You can obtain a copy of immunization records from your child’s physician. Contact the last school your child was enrolled and request a copy of these documents. When you enroll, please fill out your immunization forms COMPLETELY.  Check all necessary boxes and sign all necessary lines.  Incomplete forms will delay enrollment.

Where do I get the Report of Health Exam filled out?

Take the Report of Health Exam to your child’s physician or a local clinic.  They need to complete an exam and fill out the paperwork.  If you child has not had an oral health exam and you can’t get them to the dentist, please complete the backside of the form (it is a waiver) and check off the box that reflects your situation.

When can my child start Kindergarten?

A student must turn 5 years old on or before September 1st.

Do you offer a Transitional Kindergarten (TK) program?

Yes.  TK is the first year of a two-year kindergarten program that uses a developmentally appropriate, modified curriculum for the student.  A student is eligible for TK if he/she turns 5 years of age between September 2 – December 2.

I turned in my application, now what?

Your child’s application will be processed, and we will call you if we have any questions or concerns. You will be contacted when your enrollment is complete. The submission of an application does not constitute enrollment.

High School

Are graduation requirements the same as college requirements?

No, actually.  These two are not the same thing.  Normally a learner can graduate from high school but be a few courses short of meeting college requirements.  For the UC School system, they have A-G requirements and graduation requirements are often not enough to fulfill A-G requirements. Graduation requirements might include courses that colleges don’t require, such as PE or Health. In addition, many high schools consider a D as a passing grade for graduation requirements.  The UC and CSU system requires a C to make it “count” for college requirements.

How is GPA calculated for a-g courses?

UC’s and CSU’s will only count the grades from  A-G courses, and only from a learner’s sophomore and junior years. During your freshman year you must earn at least a C average however, these grades will not count toward your GPA.  Some colleges will give extra points for Honors, GATE, AP, or IB courses.  So sometimes your GPA for college admissions will be different from the overall GPA on your transcript.

How many courses must my student take each semester in high school?

Students must enroll in a minimum of 5 courses and a maximum of 8.

If the student is transferring from another school to iLEAD, how do I know what courses he/she has taken?

Parents should have official transcripts sent directly to iLEAD Enrollment.  They should also request unofficial transcripts from each high school their student(s) attended. The transcripts will help when developing the four-year plan.

If the student transferring to iLEAD was homeschooled and does not have a transcript, what can be done?

This may be handled in two ways: 1) If the student kept records or a portfolio, then he/she may petition the school for credits needed for graduation for core courses. 2) The student may take the SAT II subject matter tests as suggested by the University of California, and based on those grades, may petition for credit from iLEAD.  3) If the student was with a private home study program they should request a transcript from them.

Can my learner take courses at a local community college?

Yes. Parents need to understand that college classes taken while in high school are recorded on the student’s permanent college transcript. Please be sure your students is capable of completing a college course. iLEAD leaners must demonstrate their ability to manage community college courses to their EF by always completing quality assignments and providing high quality samples.  Each community college has its own requirements and paperwork, which you will need to acquire from the community college of your choice. If you feel confident in your learner’s ability to complete a college course, complete the enrollment forms.  There will be a form that requires our administrations signature and seal, please give it to your EF at least two weeks before it is due. Contact your local community college for more information.  The learner can take a maximum of 11 units a semester.

If your child is interested in taking college level courses, here are some things to keep in mind:

*If the learner is using the community college credit to satisfy the UC/CSU a­g requirements, the parent or learner must first determine that the course is transferable and that it fulfills the subject requirement. NOT ALL UC TRANSFERABLE COURSES MEET SUBJECT REQUIREMENTS. To determine if a course is UC/CSU transferable you may go to​www.assist.org.​This site lists the transferable courses by community college. Learners should contact the community college guidance office for additional information or clarification.

*Learners may pursue registering for community college courses if they are academically prepared for the rigor of college level work. Families are responsible for registering for courses on their own and paying for all course material fees. Some community colleges restrict the courses that students are permitted to take.

*Learners are allowed to take a maximum of 11 college units per semester. One semester of a college level course (100 and above) will receive 2 semesters of high school credit only if a C or above is earned.

*Learners will need to get the appropriate request form from the admissions office of the school they wish to attend and fill it out and return to their EF at least 2​weeks prior to registering for the class.​The EF will then forward that with a note to Mae Van Vooren​verifying that this particular student has demonstrated that he or she can handle the academic rigor of a college level course.​Once our Director approves, signs and scans it back to the EF, she will return it to the family to take back to the admissions office at the community college. It is a good idea to retain a copy of this in the learner’s file.

*Once the learner is admitted, the family will notify the EF of the courses being taken. *Community college courses will not be listed on iLEAD’s Master Agreement for that semester.

*Learners may choose to include assignments on the Attendance Log with a (cc) next to the name of the class, but this is not required since all work will be handed in directly to the professor. Learners do NOT need to hand in samples at monthly learning period meetings with the EF for community college coursework.

*The grade earned in the course by the professor will be the same grade issued on the high school transcript.

*Community college courses will NOT be on report cards for the semester. Credits will appear on a learner’s transcript a​fter​the family has requested and paid for transcripts to be forwarded to our registrar (​please allow 3 weeks for this process).​Please forward college transcripts to our iLEAD Exploration address c/o Leah Hall, 12340 Seal Beach Blvd. B334 Seal Beach, 90740

*Special note: Transcripts must be requested and sent immediately following completion of the course, either first or second semester, to ensure that the high school transcripts are kept up to date. Parents are responsible for all processing fees to have transcripts forwarded to the iLEAD office.

*Community college summer courses may be used for high school credit as well.

*I​t is the family’s responsibility to drop classes and meet course requirements according to the college’s guidelines. Learners must be aware that these grades will follow them on their permanent college transcripts.

How do college courses equate for high school?

Each semester of a college course (with a C grade or higher) equates to a full year of a high school course.

Do I have to complete Algebra I to graduate?

Yes, beginning in the 2003-04 school year, all students must successfully complete coursework that meets or exceeds the rigor of the content standards of Algebra I prior to receiving a diploma of graduation from a high school.

Do students with disabilities have to complete Algebra I in order to earn a high school diploma?

Yes, students with disabilities have to meet all state and local graduation requirements. Algebra I is a state graduation requirement. Your local school district may require additional math courses. Some students with disabilities, due to the specific nature of their disability, may request a waiver of the Algebra I graduation requirement if, after all support services have been provided, the student cannot pass the course.

Does my student need to take the California High School Exit Exam (CAHSEE)?

Yes.  All California public school students, except eligible students with disabilities, must satisfy the CAHSEE requirement, as well as all other state and local requirements, to receive their high school diploma. The CAHSEE requirement can be satisfied by passing the examination, or for eligible students with disabilities, meeting the exemption requirements pursuant to ECSection 60852.3, or receiving a local waiver pursuant to EC Section 60851(c).  (This may be revised pending Senate Bill 172.)

Do student with disabilities have to pass the California High School Exit Exam (CAHSEE) in order to graduate with a high school diploma?

No, beginning with the 2009–10 school year, eligible students with disabilities are exempt from the requirement to pass the CAHSEE as a condition of graduation from high school (EC Section 60852.3). An eligible student, as defined in the law, is a student with an individualized education program (IEP) or Section 504 plan that indicates that the student has satisfied or will satisfy all other state and local requirements to receive a high school diploma on or after July 1, 2009.

Students with disabilities are still required, in grade ten only, to take the CAHSEE for purposes of fulfilling the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA).  (This may be revised pending Senate Bill 172.)


Does iLEAD send out a newsletter?

Yes we do.  Here is the link to sign up to receive the newsletters and messages.   http://goo.gl/F2fuOu

How can I meet other homeschool families from iLEAD?

Great question!  There are many ways to meet other families.  One way is to visit our Exploration Centers.  These learning centers are being prepared as we speak.  When they are ready we will have classes, workshops and fun events.  You can meet other families there.  In addition, there are several park days throughout the city.  Ask your EF is she is familiar with any close by.  You can also check for information on our Monday Messages as the school year gets underway.  Some groups may ask us to post their park days on there as well.  In addition, we will be planning some fun field trips.  That’s another great way to meet other homeschool families at iLEAD.  Finally, ask your EF!  We really enjoy collaborating with our families. Come help plan some fun activities with us!