High School


iLEAD believes learners should have flexibility and options in TK through 8th grade, as well as in high school. Our high school options are intended for the learner who is motivated, detailed, focused and able to use time efficiently.  

(Both paths are intended for the learner who is disciplined, motivated, detailed and knows how to use time to his/her advantage.)


1.  iLEAD Customized Instruction 

Learners who choose Customized Instruction follow a flexible plan that is developed with the parent and Educational Facilitator (EF). This learner’s method of instruction will vary (online, in-person, learning centers, and/or a blend of these and more). Course outlines have been developed for core subjects and most electives by our highly qualified teachers (HQT). EFs will review the course outline with the parents and learner to outline the key concepts that must be covered.  The learner must master at least 80% of the the key objectives listed on the course outline.  The assignments required to demonstrate competency will be outlined by the EF.  Before the HQT and/or EF will grant the high school credits for the course, the learner must demonstrate knowledge via assignments, discussions, presentations and/or evaluations.


2.  A-G Track

This track is for learners who are hoping for admission to the California State University and University of California schools after high school graduation. These university systems require specific courses.  Learners must pass these a-g courses with a grade of C or better:

•  2 years of laboratory science

•  3 years of math including algebra and geometry

•  3 years of history /social science

•  4 years of college preparatory English

•  2 years of foreign language

•  1 year of visual /performing arts

Learners may fulfill these requirements using the following options:  SAT Subject tests, AP tests, IB tests, community college courses, UC approved online courses, UC approved site courses.

In order to be as competitive as possible within the UC and CSU applicant pools, parents and learners are advised to further research the school(s) of choice’s requirements and also to research other options to increase competitive edge.  For example, it is often recommended that students enroll in a minimum of the five “core subjects” every year of high school (includes English, math, foreign language, science and social studies).  Honors and AP classes will also improve a student’s competitive standing.


Tips for High School Seniors


High School

Are graduation requirements the same as college requirements?

No, actually.  These two are not the same thing.  Normally a learner can graduate from high school but be a few courses short of meeting college requirements.  For the UC School system, they have A-G requirements and graduation requirements are often not enough to fulfill A-G requirements. Graduation requirements might include courses that colleges don’t require, such as PE or Health. In addition, many high schools consider a D as a passing grade for graduation requirements.  The UC and CSU system requires a C to make it “count” for college requirements.

How is GPA calculated for a-g courses?

UC’s and CSU’s will only count the grades from  A-G courses, and only from a learner’s sophomore and junior years. During your freshman year you must earn at least a C average however, these grades will not count toward your GPA.  Some colleges will give extra points for Honors, GATE, AP, or IB courses.  So sometimes your GPA for college admissions will be different from the overall GPA on your transcript.

How many courses must my student take each semester in high school?

Students must enroll in a minimum of 5 courses and a maximum of 8.

If the student is transferring from another school to iLEAD, how do I know what courses he/she has taken?

Parents should have official transcripts sent directly to iLEAD Enrollment.  They should also request unofficial transcripts from each high school their student(s) attended. The transcripts will help when developing the four-year plan.

If the student transferring to iLEAD was homeschooled and does not have a transcript, what can be done?

This may be handled in two ways: 1) If the student kept records or a portfolio, then he/she may petition the school for credits needed for graduation for core courses. 2) The student may take the SAT II subject matter tests as suggested by the University of California, and based on those grades, may petition for credit from iLEAD.  3) If the student was with a private home study program they should request a transcript from them.

Can my learner take courses at a local community college?

Yes. Parents need to understand that college classes taken while in high school are recorded on the student’s permanent college transcript. Please be sure your students is capable of completing a college course. iLEAD leaners must demonstrate their ability to manage community college courses to their EF by always completing quality assignments and providing high quality samples.  Each community college has its own requirements and paperwork, which you will need to acquire from the community college of your choice. If you feel confident in your learner’s ability to complete a college course, complete the enrollment forms.  There will be a form that requires our administrations signature and seal, please give it to your EF at least two weeks before it is due. Contact your local community college for more information.  The learner can take a maximum of 11 units a semester.

If your child is interested in taking college level courses, here are some things to keep in mind:

*If the learner is using the community college credit to satisfy the UC/CSU a­g requirements, the parent or learner must first determine that the course is transferable and that it fulfills the subject requirement. NOT ALL UC TRANSFERABLE COURSES MEET SUBJECT REQUIREMENTS. To determine if a course is UC/CSU transferable you may go to​www.assist.org.​This site lists the transferable courses by community college. Learners should contact the community college guidance office for additional information or clarification.

*Learners may pursue registering for community college courses if they are academically prepared for the rigor of college level work. Families are responsible for registering for courses on their own and paying for all course material fees. Some community colleges restrict the courses that students are permitted to take.

*Learners are allowed to take a maximum of 11 college units per semester. One semester of a college level course (100 and above) will receive 2 semesters of high school credit only if a C or above is earned.

*Learners will need to get the appropriate request form from the admissions office of the school they wish to attend and fill it out and return to their EF at least 2​weeks prior to registering for the class.​The EF will then forward that with a note to Mae Van Vooren​verifying that this particular student has demonstrated that he or she can handle the academic rigor of a college level course.​Once our Director approves, signs and scans it back to the EF, she will return it to the family to take back to the admissions office at the community college. It is a good idea to retain a copy of this in the learner’s file.

*Once the learner is admitted, the family will notify the EF of the courses being taken. *Community college courses will not be listed on iLEAD’s Master Agreement for that semester.

*Learners may choose to include assignments on the Attendance Log with a (cc) next to the name of the class, but this is not required since all work will be handed in directly to the professor. Learners do NOT need to hand in samples at monthly learning period meetings with the EF for community college coursework.

*The grade earned in the course by the professor will be the same grade issued on the high school transcript.

*Community college courses will NOT be on report cards for the semester. Credits will appear on a learner’s transcript a​fter​the family has requested and paid for transcripts to be forwarded to our registrar (​please allow 3 weeks for this process).​Please forward college transcripts to our iLEAD Exploration address c/o Leah Hall, 12340 Seal Beach Blvd. B334 Seal Beach, 90740

*Special note: Transcripts must be requested and sent immediately following completion of the course, either first or second semester, to ensure that the high school transcripts are kept up to date. Parents are responsible for all processing fees to have transcripts forwarded to the iLEAD office.

*Community college summer courses may be used for high school credit as well.

*I​t is the family’s responsibility to drop classes and meet course requirements according to the college’s guidelines. Learners must be aware that these grades will follow them on their permanent college transcripts.

How do college courses equate for high school?

Each semester of a college course (with a C grade or higher) equates to a full year of a high school course.

Do I have to complete Algebra I to graduate?

Yes, beginning in the 2003-04 school year, all students must successfully complete coursework that meets or exceeds the rigor of the content standards of Algebra I prior to receiving a diploma of graduation from a high school.

Do students with disabilities have to complete Algebra I in order to earn a high school diploma?

Yes, students with disabilities have to meet all state and local graduation requirements. Algebra I is a state graduation requirement. Your local school district may require additional math courses. Some students with disabilities, due to the specific nature of their disability, may request a waiver of the Algebra I graduation requirement if, after all support services have been provided, the student cannot pass the course.

Does my student need to take the California High School Exit Exam (CAHSEE)?

Yes.  All California public school students, except eligible students with disabilities, must satisfy the CAHSEE requirement, as well as all other state and local requirements, to receive their high school diploma. The CAHSEE requirement can be satisfied by passing the examination, or for eligible students with disabilities, meeting the exemption requirements pursuant to ECSection 60852.3, or receiving a local waiver pursuant to EC Section 60851(c).  (This may be revised pending Senate Bill 172.)

Do student with disabilities have to pass the California High School Exit Exam (CAHSEE) in order to graduate with a high school diploma?

No, beginning with the 2009–10 school year, eligible students with disabilities are exempt from the requirement to pass the CAHSEE as a condition of graduation from high school (EC Section 60852.3). An eligible student, as defined in the law, is a student with an individualized education program (IEP) or Section 504 plan that indicates that the student has satisfied or will satisfy all other state and local requirements to receive a high school diploma on or after July 1, 2009.

Students with disabilities are still required, in grade ten only, to take the CAHSEE for purposes of fulfilling the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA).  (This may be revised pending Senate Bill 172.)